Sunday, January 6, 2008

When a Pet Moves to a Farm...

Today is a little sad for me. After weeks of agonizing, we decided to give Bianca Bunny away. We weren't really looking for a new home for her, but we never really intended to keep a bunny in the kitchen indefinitely either. I certainly wouldn't have posted on craigslist or anything, but when the perfect home showed up, it seemed the right thing to do.

Bianca has moved to a farm. No - REALLY! It's a family with two kids, one of which has special needs and also seems to have a special place in his heart for critters, on five acres about 40 minutes from us. They also have goats, ducks, turkeys, dogs (that part makes me a little nervous, but they assured me they understand that the bunny and the dogs will not be friends) and are planning on getting a kitty sometime soon. It's technically a trial period, and I asked the parents to tell the kids that they're bunny-sitting, that way if it doesn't work out it'll be a little easier on everyone. And when I say, "doesn't work out" I mean for me, too.

It was important to me that Bianca stay an inside bunny, which she will, and that she have plenty of time for her hop-abouts (time outside of the cage for hopping, of course) and if those two things weren't possible, it wouldn't have happened. But they were possible, and I truly believe she will be a happier bunny with more attention and interaction than she got here.

And it's not like she ever bonded with us. The ducks have bonded with us more than any of the rabbits - they really couldn't care less about who's around, as long as they get the occasional carrot.

I'm counting this as my Simplify item of the day. But it's a sad one...

2 comments:

Anandi said...

Oh, that is sad. But will be great if Bianca Bunny loves her new home.

We got Spike from a family that couldn't give him the attention he needed and it's worked out great. I really do think he's happier with us, though, of course I'm biased!

Also, let me know if you need any helpful tips for using Blogger. Sitemeter.com has a cool counter you can put on to see where your visitors come from.

Anandi said...

hey! I came looking for a new post :)